Call (719)-800-9407

Colorado Springs Police Department Accident Reports

Learn how to get your accident report from the Colorado Springs Police (CSPD)

A Colorado Springs traffic accident report is an important document in any auto accident injury case.

It is a report filed by a police officer that describes the facts and circumstances surrounding the accident.

Because your accident report is used as evidence by insurance companies and the court system, it is important to review your Colorado Springs crash report to ensure the information is 100% accurate.

If your accident was attended to by the Colorado Springs Police Department or the El Paso County Sheriff, follow the instructions below. Otherwise, you will need to request a report from that filing agency.

Getting Your Accident Report from Other Colorado Police Agencies:


The period immediately following a serious car crash is filled with pain, anxiety, and confusion. If you’re suffering, we want to help. Contact McCormick & Murphy now for a FREE case review.

A qualified Colorado Springs car accident attorney from our firm will listen to the details of your crash and explain your options. Get a free case review now. You may also reach us at (719) 425-4389.


You should always call law enforcement to the scene of your accident.

The Colorado Springs Police Department is not required to create an accident report unless the following criteria are present: 

  • Parties suffered injuries at the scene, 
  • Damage amounts to more than $1,000, or
  • At least one party involved did not have auto insurance

Even if these factors are not present, when the Colorado Springs Police Department reports to the scene of your accident you can also request that they complete an accident report.

You can only obtain your crash report if the Colorado Springs Police Department was the filing agency.


You may obtain a copy of your Colorado Springs accident report in- person at the Colorado Springs Police Department. They will give you a report for filling out a request form. The form online currently doesn’t work, so you must pick up the form and submit it to:

Colorado Springs Police Department

In-person requests may take up to seven days. You may not remember your case number. In those situations, you may call the Colorado Springs Police Department directly at (719) 444-7463 to obtain the corresponding number for your accident report. Additionally, you must pay $7.50 by check, cash, or money order to obtain the report. If you’d rather avoid the hassle, we’ll help you get your accident report.


The Colorado Springs Police Department permits online retrieval of your accident report. However, an online request requires some additional steps. You must register and create an account with the City of Colorado Springs citizen portal. Once registered, you may begin your accident report search.

The following criteria must be provided:

  • Case number, 
  • Name, and
  • Date, time, and location of the accident.

Once the CSPD enters the accident report into their system, it is immediately available online.


The El Paso County Sheriff’s Office also provides an option to obtain a copy of your police accident report online. A little easier than Colorado Springs, El Paso County Sheriff requires you to fill out this form to request an Accident Report.

They ask you to include at a minimum:

  • Name of Person Involved,
  • Case #,
  • Date of Incident, and
  • Location of Incident.

Your Accident report will cost approximately $6.00 for the first ten pages. If it exceeds that, it is $0.25 for each additional page.

Mail or Drop this form off at:

  • El Paso County Sheriff Office
    27 East Vermijo Avenue,
    Colorado Springs, CO 80903
  • Get Directions

If you don’t know your accident number, you may call the El Paso County Sheriff at (719) 520-7177 to get more information about your accident report. The Sheriff’s office is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM.


An accident report prepared by the Colorado Springs Police Department represents an essential piece of evidence in a personal injury case. If you were in a car accident that wasn’t your fault, you may want to pursue a legal claim against the at-fault party and recover for your losses.

An crash report includes pertinent facts and statements about your car accident, such as:

  • Names of all drivers and passengers involved in the accident;
  • Contact information and insurance details for all parties involved;
  • Any injuries sustained in the accident;
  • Illegal activity or failure to follow traffic laws by either driver;
  • Damage to vehicles and other public or private property;
  • Witness statements; and
  • Description of the accident and events leading up to the crash.

In some situations, the police officer may also assign fault to one or both drivers in the traffic accident report. Once you get a copy of your CSPD accident report, review it carefully. If you notice an error in your accident report or disagree with the version of events detailed in the report, talk to your attorney.

It can be very difficult to change the information in a Colorado Springs police accident report, but a skilled personal injury attorney may be able to help.

Injured in a Colorado Springs Car Accident? Get Legal Help Today.

If you or a loved one was involved in a serious auto accident, you should reach out to a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. You may want to pursue a legal claim against the party that caused your injuries and property damage. With more than 50 years combined legal experience, Kirk R. McCormick and James “Jay” Murphy of McCormick & Murphy focus their practice in the areas of personal injury and insurance bad faith.

We understand the overwhelming challenges you must be facing after a traumatic car accident. That’s why we work tirelessly to provide the highest caliber legal representation to our clients and their families. We handle most personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis. That means we don’t collect a legal fee until you recover through settlement or judgment.

McCormick & Murphy offers a free, no-obligation case evaluation at their offices in Colorado Springs, Denver, and Pueblo, Colorado. If you cannot come to us, we can come to you.

To get legal help from an experienced Colorado Springs car accident attorney, call us at (719) 425-4389.